Monday, May 4, 2009

Staying "On Course"


by Sean Saunders

This week, I had the opportunity do a playing lesson. I was on the move to Deer Lake Golf course. Playing lessons are my favorite because I get to spend more time with the student and it really lets me know what is going on in their golf game. Playing a round of golf and hitting range balls are two different things. I’ve worked with a lot of golfers who hit the ball great on the driving range and then they get bad thoughts going on the golf course and play poorly. I try to get my students to play like they practice and practice like they play. It is important to have a pre-shot routine and to focus on the process of hitting a good golf shot rather than focusing on the result. As soon as my students start thinking about not hitting the ball in the water hazard or out of bounds, that is when they tighten up and make bad golf swings resulting in exactly what they didn’t want to do in the first place.

Playing lessons also allow me to teach a lesson that goes beyond the golf course. Golf teaches you about life lessons. I can learn a lot about someone by just playing a round of golf with them. For example, a student’s true colors come out when playing a round of golf with them such as cheating, losing their temper over a bad shot, their personality type by watching the tempo of their golf swing, and how they manage the golf course and the decisions they make. I can tell if my student is a risk taker depending on what club they use in certain situations. I can also tell if the student has integrity because they follow the rules. Golf is the only game where the player makes the decision on what the ruling is and whether they play by the rules. I’ve had to teach many of my students about etiquette and what you are supposed to do if you hit the ball out of bounds or in a water hazard. I don’t expect my student to know all of the rules, but my students that are planning on playing in tournaments and they need to know the rules, I try to keep them informed on how to look up rules in the USGA rules book.

A goal I set for each one of my students is to help them improve their game and have fun playing golf, but I also want them to explore for themselves the greater lessons learned from this great game. “The Mulligan” written by Wally Armstrong and Ken Blanchard is a book I recommend reading that hits on the life lessons learned from the game and the Old Pro. This book reminds me to try and keep balance and not let work and results control my life. It is a constant struggle as a Golf Professional during the golf season to maintain balance. I want to continually push forward and see my business grow into something great, but I also can’t lose focus of my personal and family life. I am a Type “A” personality who sets goals and tries to achieve those goals as soon as possible and making sacrifices if needed. I am also expecting my first child any day now and I know she is going to change my outlook on life forever. I know that if I am going to be successful in my career, I need to prioritize my goals and make sure spiritual and family goals came first. If I can’t reach my spiritual and family goals, I’m not going to be happy and that will keep me from being successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment