Friday, May 22, 2009

40 Under 40 Event in Springfield


by Don Harkey

The red carpet was out last night in front of the historic Gillioz Theatre in downtown Springfield last night for the Springfield Business Journal's 10th Annual "40 Under 40" Event. The theme this year was Oscar night and they did not disappoint!

As my wife and I entered the theatre, we were stopped and interviewed by Kevin Howard from the Alice 95.5 "Kevin and Liz" show as though we were celebrities. Of course, I won't let it go to my head and I will remember all of the little people who helped me get to where I am in my life... (dramatic sigh...)

We then entered the Tonic Ultralounge for drinks and food. The stuffed mushrooms were awesome! The place was packed, and somewhat surreal for us since we have been more used to walking around inflatables and kiddie tables and haven't exactly been fixture in the Springfield night life. We ate and chatted it up with some friends including my good friend Randy Mayes and his lovely wife.

Then we all filed into the theatre for the presentation, which was hosted by Kevin and Liz. It was very cool to hear about all of the work being done in the community. The winners got a bag of "SWAG" which included an iPod, candy, mugs, pens, and a subscription to SBJ. Pretty cool!

After the presentation, my wife and I bailed out early to take advantage of our rare time alone. We went out to Sinatra's coffee for a quiet drink and some great conversation. I must say that I enjoyed the time with her more than anything else during the night!

All in all, a great event! Thanks to the staff at SBJ for pulling out all the stops (except for Patrick, who threw some tape at me... my wife found that tape later as we got home wadded up in her purse).

No comments:

Post a Comment